Best Roofs For Homes In Four Season Climates
A roof is one of the most important investments when it comes to your home. Selecting the right one can ensure that you don’t have to replace it any sooner than it needs to be.
One important element to consider when choosing a roof for your home is the type of climate that you live in, as not all roofs are designed to withstand certain elements. If you live in a four season climate, your roof must be able to withstand fluctuations in temperature and also the onset of rain and snow.
Here are some of the best roofing materials for those who live in four season climates:
- Cedar Roofs. Cedar roofs stand the test of durability through the changing seasons. They also get rid of snow easily and are not prone to leaking when compared to other types.
- Asphalt Shingle Roofing. Asphalt shingles, a very traditional type of roof, is another great option for those living in a winter climate as they are very durable. They can withstand a lot of fluctuations in temperature and are not damaged by sunlight. In fact, this type of roofing is very common in Ontario homes. Asphalt shingle roofing is also very cost effective and any repair costs are usually very affordable.
- Slate Roofs. For places like Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver – locations that generally see a lot of rain, heavy snow or both – slate roofs are a great option. These roofs are extremely effective for energy efficiency, and perform well in both extremely hot and extremely cold climates.
Other Roofing Tips in Four Season Climates:
- A simple roof is one of the top types of roofs to have if you live in a colder climate that receives snow fall. The reasons for this are that it stops ice, snow and pine needles from collecting, which can cause a host of problems. A simple roof is also strong and stops roofs from bending.
- Be mindful that any type of opening in your roof – whether it is a chimney or skylight – can potentially collect ice or be a source of leaks. Use caution when considering them for your home.
If you are looking to replace your roof, contact one of our seasoned professionals at Royal York Roofing today.